Monday, September 12, 2011

On loving one's city

I have been in Bangalore for over 2 years now, and after the initial rush of the brilliant weather that strikes you the most if you move here from Bombay, all I have really done is crib. See that's my thing. Some people are good at photography, some write like a dream. I crib - that is my special talent bordering on superpower.

I had dismissed a lot of things in Bangalore. Like malls. I had dismissed UB City completely. After seeing most of what there is to see here (and I haven't seen Cubbon Park yet, mind you) I had decided that if you don't want to eat, drink, or shop, the only time you need to leave your house in this city is when you are getting out of the city (and thanks to R's work hours, getting out of the city has not been happening as much as I want it to). Which is not entirely wrong, Bangalore does not really have a lot of options for people like me. The food is good. The clubs are often unbelievably wannabe but Purple Haze more than makes up for them. There are movie theaters, and there is that one Rangashankara. And there is the UB City Amphitheater. And now Gig Box is bringing some brilliant concerts to the city. There is Oktoberfest, and there will be Storm Festival. The weather is to die for, it makes everything better. And for a home bird of the chai-beer-baarish-music fame like me, this really is enough. I will have to agree, and I have known this from the day I set foot in Bangalore, that Bombay may be my favourite city in the world, but if I want a life that counts in every possible way, Bangalore will have to be home.

Yesterday, on a quintessential chilly Bangalore evening, R, Thakur, and I listened to the Dire Straits live tribute at the amphitheater. It drizzled. High spirits flowed. And it rained. We walked along the rain kissed roads, and talked. And ate. It felt like freedom. And camaraderie.

And suddenly, I feel like writing again. A change of scene is more important than we give it credit for. And a change of scene does not always have to mean getting out of the city. I am not too fond of most things that Bangalore has to offer for entertainment outside the awesomeness that is my house (You probably remember that narcissism is also my thing), except maybe food, but it is not fun anymore when your clothes start getting too small for you :P. But concerts like yesterday's (that ended too soon because of the rain) on an evening like that, make Bangalore what it is. Home.

I am in love all over again. And not just with Bangalore and Thakur and Mark Knopfler. Go figure!

P.S. I saw Raghu Dixit in concert a couple of weeks back. I spoke to him backstage. And I really believe that there are rock bands and then there is the Raghu Dixit Project. Their rockstarness goes beyond their music. It is a pity not too many people get that.
 

1 comment:

Revati Upadhya said...

I'm Bangalorean at heart. But I have grown to be disappointed and dejected when I think about my home-city. I've moved out 2 years ago in search of peace, quiet, better roads, less angry and less superficial people. And I think I have found it. Having grown up in Bangalore completely, I had the misfortune of watching ti disintegrate before my very eyes. Tragic, utterly tragic. So coming from a place where nothing Bangalore ever does can redeem it in my eyes, I think its great that you have found something to like about the city you call home now :)